COSME programme – The ultimate EU programme for funding SMEs
COSME is the EU programme for the Competitiveness of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs). It runs from 2014 to 2020 with a planned budget of €2.3bn. It offers different funding opportunities through calls for proposals (grants) and calls for tenders.
The COSME programme addresses four main objectives:
- Ease access to finance for SMEs by providing loan guarantees and risk capital (access to finance)
- Help companies access new markets, within and outside the EU (access to markets)
- Create a business-friendly environment by reducing the administrative burden on SMEs (improving conditions for businesses)
- Encourage an entrepreneurial culture (encouraging entrepreneurship)
Take a look at some of the open COSME calls for grants and tenders.
Are you thinking of applying for COSME funding? Take a look at some of the most commonly asked questions to see if it is the right fit for you.
Who can apply to COSME calls?
- Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs), as the main target of COSME, in some calls can apply directly as beneficiary
- Intermediary organisations, that support SMEs can be beneficiaries and participate in calls
Before applying, make sure that you:
- Read thoroughly the Terms of Reference
- Have an original project idea that can be competitive at the EU level
- Plan well ahead of when forming your consortium, by answering these questions:
- Who will take the lead? Who has experience in previous calls?
- Check language knowledge of your partners—communication is key
- Who do you need to form a strong consortium? Identify the type of organisation, SME expertise, geographical balance, sectoral focus, etc
- Enterprise Europe Network can help you with your search for partners!
- Be sure that you have trusted partners that are committed from start to finish
During the application phase:
- Check the documents and templates;
- Keep an eye on the deadlines: do not wait until the last minute!
- For SMEs: do the SME check!
- Check if there are FAQs: often they hide useful information
- Make agreements with your consortium on:
- Work packages, division of tasks and responsibility
- Timeline with milestones
- Communication & dissemination plan
- Budget! Is your co-financing secured?
Find the European Programme that suits your organization the most. Use the EUcalls platform to find your consortium of partners and apply for the calls your interested in now!